Monday, June 4, 2012

Who Should Pay for the Wedding (Continues)

So I have some updated information from last week! I told everyone that I was going to try and stir up the forum a little bit by posting a controversial comment, and I have the results for everyone!

Just a quick reminder of her post:


I am very disappointed that my father has not asked me what I have envisioned for my wedding and what estimated costs had I planned on. I feel like it is a discussion he should initiate but he has not. He has a substantially large income annually and spends more on traveling every year than I have even budgeted for my wedding, so money cannot be the issue.

Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you go about starting the conversation?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!


Cheers, The Future Mrs. Rackey


I decided to respond to her post by writing:

"I think that it is horrible that your father has not offered to pay for your wedding. He should initiate the conversation, so you don't feel obligated to pay for the whole thing yourself. I am sorry that you are in this situation. If he has a large annual income then there is no reason that you should be paying for it. I disagree with everyone in the forum, that you should be paying for your own wedding, after all it is your parents responsibility. The rule that "if your old enough to get married, you should be able to pay for it"should be thrown out the window. " 

-Truly shocked bride to be!

My results:

People did not strike back as hard as I thought they would. I thought that people would go crazy over this comment and raise havoc, but people responded somewhat kind to my over the top comment. 

Some of the comments are below:

"I can't believe that you think it is her fathers responsibility. What happened to respect and manners in this world?"

"Are you kidding me? Her father should pay for the wedding, because of his annual income? If they want to get married then they should pay for it themselves." 

"I guess some people were never taught boundaries when they were kids, this type of entitlement is sick." 

"You don't want her to ruin her relationship with her dad, poor advice like this should not be followed."


While these comments were not hateful, they certainly were not the nicest either. I think that these people still conducted themselves appropriately and just expressed their opinions. There digital citizenship was still good, but they had their own strong views on the subject. 

I think that it is interesting that when comments are not controversial little to no comments are made, but when something hits the wrong cord with community members then you get a hit of comments. It was fun to see others reactions to this comment, even though I don't agree with my own comment myself. Next week I will be off to a new forum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment