Thursday, May 24, 2012

Who should pay for the wedding?

This week I decided to look into the forum "who should pay for the wedding" this kind of goes along with my past blog about "who should have final say over the guest list?" Some said that it should be who is paying for the wedding, but what happens when nobody knows who will be paying for it, or how to bring up the conversation among family members? This can all be a disastrous fight that nobody wants to come near.

So, what did the community members say to this eager brides question? 

Below is her post:

 am very disappointed that my father has not asked me what I have envisioned for my wedding and what estimated costs had I planned on. I feel like it is a discussion he should initiate but he has not. He has a substantially large income annually and spends more on traveling every year than I have even budgeted for my wedding, so money cannot be the issue.

Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you go about starting the conversation?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

Cheers, The Future Mrs. Rackey


Some of the community members responded by giving her advice on how to approach her father, but of the members attacked her question, and thought that it was totally wrong that she felt so entitled. 

Below are some of their responses to her question. 
It is 2012.  Brides and Grooms pay for their own weddings.  The idea of daddy paying for it went out the window when girls stopped marrying at 19 and 20 and going straight from their parents' house to their husband's house.

He has no obligation to contribute anything financially to your wedding.  Plan the wedding that you and your FI can afford, and go from there.

Dad is not required to pay for your wedding.  If you're old enough it get married you're old enough to pay for the wedding yourself.

When you start badgering them bout money etc it makes you look entitled. You need to plan on paying for it yourself. You do not ask people for money for your wedding.
Did you read the OP?  Her father never said he'd pay for her wedding and she wants to ask him.  She's assuming that because he has money to spare (in her opinion) then he should pay for the whole thing. And I stand by my advice that B&G's pay for their own weddings today.  If you have a family that can afford to host your entire wedding and they have offered to pay for the whole thing, then great.  In this day and age though, nobody should expect it.
These are just some of the responses to her question. I am not going to post to this forum yet, but in a few days I have decided that I am going to stir up the forum a little bit, and post something to hopefully make the community members strike back. 
I don't truly believe this, but I am going to post something like...."her father should pay for it, she should expect him to, thats horrible that you would even have to pay for any of it." I think that this will really strike a nerve with some of the members considering their strong views. I really don't believe in that comment, but it will make for an interesting view into their digital citizenship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment